What is Student Affairs?
Interim Vice Chancellor Tom Smith, above.
Student Affairs: Provides the Services You Use Most
Under the direction of Interim Vice Chancellor Tom Smith, the office oversees UCR’s large and diverse student-body and programs that provide resources to aid students' personal, academic and professional growth. UCR students do everything from joining student organizations and attending campus-sponsored concerts, to using the Student Recreation Center and Student Health Services. Student Affairs is the division that's responsible for all of that and more! Student Affairs is focused on serving students so that their time at UC Riverside is a success intellectually, emotionally, physically, socially and developmentally. Student Affairs is a department for students, and we remain committed to providing the total UCR Student Experience both inside the classroom and out.
The "Student-Centered" Philosophy
In order to constantly improve and upgrade student services and the student experience at UC Riverside, Student Affairs uses one guiding principle over and over again: What serves our UCR students best? We want students to achieve their goals in the fewest steps possible, while understanding all of their options and having rewarding interactions with university staff. That's why we promote school spirit through campus events. We built a Wellness Center to encourage healthier lifestyle choices through education and communication. Student-centered has always been the yardstick we use to put the student first in Student Affairs!
Recent Student Affairs Initiatives
- R'Web: R'Web consolidates the most popular UCR applications including Growl, R'mail, the Schedule of Classes into one computer portal with a convenient single sign-on. R'Web also provides special alerts about fees and due dates, the UCR shuttle schedule, real-time traffic updates and Shout-Outs that inform students about what's happening on campus.
- Student Vitality Initiative: Increases students' sense of campus vitality and school spirit through, energetic Web sites, colorful posters and campus signage, and major rebranding and expansion of Homecoming, Welcome Week and UCR pride events such as the weekly R'Day campaign on Wednesdays when students are encouraged to sport their Highlander pride with UCR clothing.
- Wellness initiative: The Well is the fulfillment of a campus vision is to have UCR students engaged in personal wellness and a vibrant, healthy and balanced lifestyle, while providing integrated programs and resources that promote the importance of maintaining an optimal quality of life and foster a culture of health and wellness.
- First-Year Success: Connects first-year students with staff resources that assist them with campus life and academic skills. Also provides them with seminars and workshops on a variety of topics including time management, conflict resolution and tips for studying.
- African Student Programs - African Student Programs coordinates and oversees student activities and programs that honor African traditions. Programs and activities are designed to enhance academic excellence, leadership development and cultural awareness as well as foster an appreciation of an ethnically diverse campus, community and world.
- Asian Pacific Student Programs - Asian Pacific Student Programs strives to promote a diverse learning environment, providing the UC Riverside community with opportunities to learn from and about the Asian and Pacific Islander student population.
- Associated Students Program Board - The Associated Students Program Board (ASPB) is an elite student organization made up of 13 board members who serve six divisions: leadership, concerts, special events, films, cultural events and marketing. Our goals are to provide students with quality entertainment events, foster teamwork and leadership within our members and promote fun on campus.
- Associated Students - UCR - The Associated Students of the University of California, Riverside (ASUCR), is the student government at UCR. It is organized much like your standard government, with the undergraduate student body at the head.
- AVC-Dean of Students - The Office of the AVC/Dean of Students is comprised of fifteen departments with multiple initiatives and support programs united by one common goal: To provide you with the most enriching UCR student experience possible.
- Chicano Student Programs - Chicano Student Programs develops a positive, constructive environment for Chicano/Latino students, providing support services, and facilitating the implementation of programs and activities designed to educate the general university population about the Chicano/Latino community.
- Counseling Center - The Counseling Center provides specialized professional services designed to support the educational process on an ethnically diverse campus and to assist students in their career, personal and social development.
- KUCR Radio - KUCR provides news, music and information on 88.3 FM.
- Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Resource Center - The LGBT Resource Center provides one-on-one support, hosts peer discussion groups, offers free handouts and a lending library of books and videos, provides leadership development training for student leaders and promotes awareness of LGBT concerns and culture.
- Native American Student Programs - Native American Student Programs provides educational cultural and social support for American Indian students. It coordinates a variety of activities designed to expand educational awareness for American Indian students as well as the campus community.
- Student Conduct and Academic Integrity Programs - SCAIP is responsible for addressing alleged incidents of academic and non-academic violations of UCR Standards of Conduct that involve UCR students.
- Student Health Services - Student Health Services provides high quality, confidential medical care to students, with a focus on convenient, affordable and accessible services. All registered students are eligible to use Student Health Services.
- Student Life - Student Life is dedicated to the education and development of UCR's diverse student body and to creating a meaningful, learning-centered campus life. Student Life works in active partnership with student, faculty and staff to foster and support student opportunities for learning, involvement, leadership, community building and creative expression that complement classroom experiences.
- Student Recreation - Recreation's mission is to enhance the mental, physical, social and emotional development of all students, faculty, and staff by educating and serving them through recreational programming and services.
- Student Development Resource Center - Student Special Services houses Services for Students with Disabilities, Veterans' Affairs, and Voter Registration. They also provide ROTC Referral and Selective Service information.
- The Well - The Well is part of the campus and UC system-wide Mental Health/Healthier Campus Climate Initiative committed to providing a safe, supportive and connected campus environment through the promotion of healthy minds, bodies and communities.
- Women's Resource Center - The Women's Resource Center is a multifunctional center that provides women's and men's programs and services for the UCR student community. The office offers educational opportunities and support to foster access, outreach, retention, equity, knowledge and skill development, safety and a general sense of well-being.