Vice Chancellor James Sandoval
Meet Our Vice Chancellor, James Sandoval
Under the guidance of James Sandoval, the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs is responsible for overseeing more than 45 departments and a large and diverse student body of more than 20,000 students, with substantially more expected in future years.
Three Decades of UC Experience
Jim began his professional career at the University of California, Irvine in 1982 where he served in the Financial Aid Office for seven years. He held numerous positions, including Scholarship Coordinator, Medical Student Financial Aid Coordinator, and Assistant Director of Financial Aid. In 1989 he was hired as Director of Financial Aid at UCR. He was the youngest individual to be appointed to this position in the history of the University of California. During his tenure at UCR he has served as the campus Registrar, Assistant Vice Chancellor for Enrollment Management and Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Services and Enrollment. In July 2001 he became Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs.
As a member of UCR's executive team Jim has led many critical campus initiatives including the realization of UCR's diversity at the undergraduate level, the design and construction of the Highlander Union Building, design and construction of the Student Services Building to include the conception of the Highlander One Stop Shop, the development of the WELL and associated student development programs aimed at establishing the healthy student climate, and the enhancement of programming designed to heighten school spirit and campus life.
In addition to his many accomplishments at the campus level, Jim has been actively involved in the development of financial aid and admission policy at the federal, state, and local levels. He has served on several national and statewide campus committees and in this capacity he has been called upon to testify before the US Congress and California legislature. In May 2003, Vice Chancellor Sandoval was appointed by Governor Davis to serve on the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC). In 2005 he was reappointed by Governor Schwarzenegger and soon thereafter become Chair of the Commission.
A Legacy of Achievement
Under the direction of Vice Chancellor Sandoval, several significant Student Affairs initiatives have been accomplished including:
- The Well: One of the newest departments of the VCSA, where UCR students are educated about personal wellness and encouraged to lead vibrant, healthy and balanced lifestyles.
- The Highlander One-Stop Shop: Bringing together the offices Undergraduate Admissions, the Registrar, Financial Aid and Student Business Services so students can save time waiting in line and access UCR's most popular services in one convenient location — the first floor of the Student Services Building.
- The Highlander Union Building: Construction and completion of its $50 million expansion and renovation of the 142,000-square foot facility housing dining and retail facilities, student meeting areas, lounges and office space.
- First-Year Success Series: Implementation of a series of workshops and seminars designed to guide new UCR students through their first year on campus.
- Student Vitality Initiative: A choreographed effort to increase school spirit, with events such as Heat; vibrant websites, posters and campus signage; R'Day on Wednesdays when everyone is encouraged to wear UCR clothing; and the major rebranding and expansion of Homecoming, Welcome Week and UCR pride events.